From Wisconsin To Wall Street, An Economic Reckoning
The comparisons were inevitable. As Occupy Wall Street gathers momentum and new allies, progressives have quickly connected it with the other headline-grabbing uprising this year: The mass protests in Wisconsin against Gov. Scott Walker’s attack on labor unions. A statement from leaders of the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees union, which endorsed Occupy Wall Street this week, was typical: “Just as a message was sent to politicians in Wisconsin, a clear message is now being sent to Wall Street: Priority number one should be rebuilding Main Street, not fueling the power of corporate CEOs and their marionette politicians.”
The essential theme connecting events in Madison and New York City is unmistakable. Both represent an economic reckoning at a time of grim unemployment rates and stagnant wages for middle-class Americans. “Both the defense of unions [in Wisconsin] and Occupy Wall Street, which is broader in its definition of the problem, are responding to two or three decades of increasing economic inequality and, until fairly recently, the inability of progressives to address those things,” says Georgetown University historian Michael Kazin, author of American Dreamers: How the Left Changed a Nation.
But the Wisconsin-Occupy Wall Street comparison is a more complicated one in its specifics. The two don’t fit neatly side by side and, in some ways, bear no resemblance at all. Here is a look at how two of the biggest populist protests of the year stack up:
October 7, 2011 - Posted by raemd95 | Class Warfare, Democracy, Equal Rights, Freedom, Government, Ideologues, Liberty, Media, Middle Class, Politics, Populism, Revolution, Unemployment | Corporations, Gov Scott Walker, Income Gap, Inequality, Labor, Law Enforcement, Occupy Wall Street, Social Media, Wages, Wall Street
No comments yet.
Share This Blog
- “The Unrelenting Hostility Of Washington’s Courtier Press”: The Media’s Crusade Of Scandals Against Hillary Clinton July 28, 2016
- “Endorsing This Philistine”: The Christian Right Has Surrendered To Trump July 24, 2016
- “Cop Killers Serve No Cause”: It’s Getting To The Point Where No Lives Matter July 24, 2016
- "Most Extreme Example Of Racial Gerrymandering": Federal Court Blocks Discriminatory Texas Redistricting Plan
- "Just A Crumpled Up Little Ball Of Paper": The Night Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, And John Kasich Killed The RNC Pledge
- "The Emergency Exits Are Always Open": Wal-Mart’s Strategy Of Deniability For Workers’ Safety
- "Stigmatizing The Poor": New GOP Lie: Food Stamps on Cruise Ships
- "Since When Is Kelly Ayotte A "Moderate"?": The Disappearance Of Actual Republican 'Moderates' Is A Problem
- "The Genie Is Already Out Of The Bottle": Sorry, Wishful Thinkers; Trump Will Almost Certainly Still Be The GOP Nominee
Affordable Care Act African Americans Bain Capital Citizens United Congress Conservatives Contraception Corporations Debt Ceiling Democracy Democrats Donald Trump Economic inequality Economy Foreign Policy Fox News George W. Bush GOP GOP Presidential Candidates Government Shutdown Gun Control Gun Violence Health Exchanges Health Insurance Hillary Clinton House Republicans Immigration Immigration Reform Iraq War ISIS Jeb Bush Jobs John Boehner John McCain Koch Brothers Lindsey Graham Marco Rubio media Medicaid Medicare Middle Class Middle East Minorities Mitch McConnell Mitt Romney National Security Newt Gingrich NRA ObamaCare Paul Ryan Politics Poor and Low Income Poverty Progressives Racism Rand Paul Republicans Rick Santorum Right Wing Ronald Reagan Rush Limbaugh Scott Walker SCOTUS Senate Spending Cuts Tax cuts Taxes Tea-party Teaparty Ted Cruz Terrorism uninsured Voter Suppression Wall Street Wealthy
- Controversial Trump-Supporting Sheriff Calls for 'Pitchforks and Torches' - ABC News - abcn.ws/2ehpHYC: Just another right wing nut!----------- 4 days ago
- Paul Ryan Won’t Defend Donald Trump, Upsetting G.O.P. Hard-Liners nyti.ms/2dOB3EC----------- 1 week ago
- Trumps message to #MakeAmericaGreatAgain : "The family that gropes together, stays together". @realDonaldTrump #debate #TrumpClintonDebate----------- 1 week ago
- #DoaldTrump lurched back and forth behind #HillaryClinton like a snorting stalker. Something is wrong with that man. #debate #TrumpvClinton----------- 1 week ago
- RT @politifactlive: LIVE FACT-CHECK: Trump’s claim of a neighbor seeing something in San Bernardino, not reporting it is False. https://t.c…----------- 1 week ago
- 255,200 hits
Blog at WordPress.com.