“This Is Low, Even By NRA Standards”: NRA Gets Everything Wrong In New Attack Ad
At least for now, Donald Trump’s campaign doesn’t really have the resources to air commercials in key 2016 battleground states, but the presumptive Republican nominee is getting some help from a controversial ally: the NRA Political Victory Fund, the National Rifle Association’s political arm, is investing $2 million in a new attack ad blaming the 2012 attack in Benghazi on Hillary Clinton.
The spot features Mark Geist, a Marine veteran who survived the terrorist attack, apparently walking through a national cemetery. It will air in Colorado, Florida, Ohio, Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.
So, what’s wrong with the ad? Just about everything. First, the New York Daily News reports on the problem of using a national cemetery as a prop in a campaign attack ad.
Federal government officials dismissed the ad, stating that the NRA never requested to film on the solemn, hallowed ground – and would have been rejected if it had.
“Partisan activities are prohibited on national cemetery grounds as they are not compatible with preserving the dignity and tranquility of the national cemeteries as national shrines,” the Department of Veterans Affairs National Cemetery Administration, which maintains 134 national cemeteries, told The News in a statement.
Second, while the ad suggests Clinton was responsible for the attack in Benghazi, the star of the commercial is actually on record saying largely the opposite.
Third, just this week, the House Republicans’ own Benghazi report found no evidence – despite two years of investigating – that blames Clinton for the terrorism.
And finally, note that the ad features hundreds of cemetery tombstones, when the actual U.S. death toll in Benghazi was four people.
I don’t expect much from NRA attack ads, but this is low, even for the notorious gun group.
By: Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, July 1, 2016
July 4, 2016 - Posted by raemd95 | Donald Trump, National Cemetaries, National Rifle Association | Attack Ads, Benghazi, Department of Veterans Affairs, Hillary Clinton, House Republicans, Mark Geist, NRA Political Political Victory Fund, Veterans
No comments yet.
Share This Blog
- “The Unrelenting Hostility Of Washington’s Courtier Press”: The Media’s Crusade Of Scandals Against Hillary Clinton July 28, 2016
- “Endorsing This Philistine”: The Christian Right Has Surrendered To Trump July 24, 2016
- “Cop Killers Serve No Cause”: It’s Getting To The Point Where No Lives Matter July 24, 2016
- "Most Extreme Example Of Racial Gerrymandering": Federal Court Blocks Discriminatory Texas Redistricting Plan
- "Diversity Is A Faddish Theory": According To Clarence Thomas, Affirmative Action Is Just Like Segregation
- "The Emergency Exits Are Always Open": Wal-Mart’s Strategy Of Deniability For Workers’ Safety
- Tax Hike Prevention Act of 2010: How It Affects You
- "Speaking In The Abstract": How The Right Talks About Race, Even When They’re Not Talking About Race
- "Happy New Year, Losers": The "Supreme Court Gap" In Unversal Health-Care Coverage
Affordable Care Act African Americans Bain Capital Citizens United Congress Conservatives Contraception Corporations Debt Ceiling Democracy Democrats Donald Trump Economic inequality Economy Foreign Policy Fox News George W. Bush GOP GOP Presidential Candidates Government Shutdown Gun Control Gun Violence Health Exchanges Health Insurance Hillary Clinton House Republicans Immigration Immigration Reform Iraq War ISIS Jeb Bush Jobs John Boehner John McCain Koch Brothers Lindsey Graham Marco Rubio media Medicaid Medicare Middle Class Middle East Minorities Mitch McConnell Mitt Romney National Security Newt Gingrich NRA ObamaCare Paul Ryan Politics Poor and Low Income Poverty Progressives Racism Rand Paul Republicans Rick Santorum Right Wing Ronald Reagan Rush Limbaugh Scott Walker SCOTUS Senate Spending Cuts Tax cuts Taxes Tea-party Teaparty Ted Cruz Terrorism uninsured Voter Suppression Wall Street Wealthy
- RT @BlueHumanity: "There are no legislative accomplishments, zero" #100DaysOfShame #100DaysOfNothing #100DaysOfVacationing https://t.co…----------- 3 days ago
- With all due respect, which is none, it is time for you to realize that you are an absolutely incompetent idiot. @realDonaldTrump----------- 3 days ago
- RT @funder: #TrumpLeaks Docs: WI Gov Scott Walker's super PAC took $1 Million from pro-Putin Ukrainian businessman last election cycle #Tru…----------- 1 week ago
- RT @Rosie: when he is impeached - every order he signed needs to be reversed - every single one - and gorsuch needs to be removed from SCO…----------- 1 week ago
- So it is written, so let it be done! twitter.com/MotherJones/st…----------- 1 week ago
- 257,826 hits
Blog at WordPress.com.