“It’s Good To Be A Prince”: Once A Privileged Abuser Of Power, Always A Privileged Abuser Of Power.
Romney would be able to dismiss the bullying story as ancient history if it didn’t confirm what we already suspected about him—that he’s a serial abuser of power.
It is a good general principle that we ought not hold teenage wrongdoing against middle-aged people. Mitt Romney has run a business, run the Olympics, run a state, run for the Senate, and run for president. Surely we can and should judge him on his performance of those public duties.
But what if childhood conduct helps shed a light on adult behavior? Romney’s teenage bullying hurts him because it is consonant with his adult record. Voters may well conclude: once a bully, always a bully; once a privileged abuser of power, always a privileged abuser of power.
If the Washington Post reports of his teenage behavior are true—and even Romney does not dispute them, except to disingenuously say he doesn’t remember—what adult traits do those actions presage?
First, abuse of power. Romney was tall, handsome, and rich. But he was not athletic, at a time and a place when athleticism among young men was the coin of the realm. So he became a cheerleader. Like fellow cheerleaders George W. Bush and Rick Perry, he adopted a macho swagger, perhaps overcompensating for his lack of ability on the field. Maybe that’s why he didn’t confront his nonconformist classmate alone but rather took the coward’s path: assembling a posse in an episode one classmate described as like “Lord of the Flies.”
A less-commented upon part of the Post‘s story on Romney’s teenage years is nearly as cruel as the bullying of his classmate. Cranbrook, Romney’s elite private academy, had a teacher who was so visually impaired the kids called him “The Bat.” Romney and a pal walked The Bat up to a door. Romney beckoned The Bat to walk through first, making a sweeping motion toward the door as if it were open, but it wasn’t. The Bat walked into the closed door as Mitt collapsed in fits of sadistic laughter.
One can draw a straight line from the young man who pinned down a terrified teenager and walked a blind man into a closed door, to the adult who put the family dog in a kennel and strapped it to the roof of the car, to the businessman who laid off hundreds of people, cancelled their health benefits, and paid himself millions while their company went bankrupt. And the line continues: the governor who slashed education and raised fees on the middle class, and the possible president who would use his power to cut taxes on his fellow millionaires while pushing for the gradual demise of traditional Medicare.
Then there is the aura of someone who acts as if the rules don’t apply to him. The Post reported that the abused boy was ultimately expelled from Cranbrook—for smoking a cigarette. Really. The victim got expelled for smoking a cigarette, but Mitt faced no sanctions for maliciously victimizing a vulnerable student and a teacher. It’s good to be a prince. Maybe that’s why Romney felt entitled to take a $10 million bailout for Bain, but opposed President Obama’s bailout of the auto industry. He thinks there’s one set of rules for the privileged, and another for the rest of us.
This is why Romney’s ancient misconduct at Cranbrook haunts him today: it helps illuminate the man who seeks to become the most powerful person in the world.
By: Paul Begala, The Daily Beast, May 11, 2012
No comments yet.
Share This Blog
- “The GOP’s Obsession With Words”: Those Who Suggest Obama Doesn’t Use The Words They Prefer, ‘He’s Not One Of Us’ March 3, 2015
- “Upending The Status Quo”: How Obama Is Shrewdly Using Partisanship To Sideline Netanyahu And Save The Iran Nuclear Deal March 3, 2015
- “Rolling Out The Welcome Wagon For The Bad Guys”: It May Be Speaker John Boehner And The GOP Who Do Not Love America March 3, 2015
- "Obamacare By Any Other Name": An Unnecessarily Complicated Way To Undo Harm Caused By A Crisis Of Their Own Creation
- "Parents Own The Children": Libertarians Have A History Of Horrifying Views On Parenting
- "Rolling Out The Welcome Wagon For The Bad Guys": It May Be Speaker John Boehner And The GOP Who Do Not Love America
- "Strength, Toughness & Resolve Is All It Takes": On Display At CPAC; How The Presidential Primary Makes GOP Candidates Simple-Minded
- "From Bad To Worse": Limbaugh's California Ratings Debacle Deepens
- "The Catastrophe Bibi Is Courting": Bolstering His Re-Election And Pushing For War, He Should Be Careful What You Wishes For
Affordable Care Act African Americans Bain Capital Bush Tax Cuts Citizens United Congress Conservatives Contraception Corporations Debt Ceiling Democracy Democrats Economic inequality Economy Eric Cantor Florida Foreign Policy Fox News George W. Bush GOP Government Shutdown Gun Control Health Exchanges Health Insurance House Republicans Immigration Immigration Reform Iraq War Jobs John Boehner John McCain Koch Brothers Lindsey Graham Marco Rubio media Medicaid Medicare Middle Class Minorities Mitch McConnell Mitt Romney National Security Newt Gingrich NRA ObamaCare Paul Ryan Politics Poor and Low Income Poverty Racism Rand Paul Reproductive Rights Republicans Rick Perry Rick Santorum Right Wing Ronald Reagan Rush Limbaugh SCOTUS Senate Social Security Spending Cuts Tax cuts Taxes Tax Revenue Tea-party Teaparty Ted Cruz Texas Unemployment uninsured Voter Suppression Wall Street War on Women Wealthy
- "@JeffersonObama: The GOP Congress is now erecting a Golden Calf over the Capitol Dome to honor Netanyahu. #Moses http://t.co/N1LpHz9Mha"----------- 6 hours ago
- RT @MorinCheryl: @NC_MJGalvin @vickijee @raemd95 Wily, pandering opportunist!!----------- 8 hours ago
- RT @ReutersUS: An all-white jury will hear the trial of accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev: reut.rs/17OtfxL http://t.c…----------- 14 hours ago
- RT @Harryslaststand: If USA follows the road map set up by #NetanyahuSpeech the world will be a more dangerous place, it is time we stop li…----------- 18 hours ago
- Given the choice between calamities, Bibi chooses both. #NetanyahuSpeech #BibiDoesntSpeakForMe #Congress #BenjaminNetanyahu----------- 18 hours ago
- 184,839 hits