From Wisconsin To Wall Street, An Economic Reckoning
The comparisons were inevitable. As Occupy Wall Street gathers momentum and new allies, progressives have quickly connected it with the other headline-grabbing uprising this year: The mass protests in Wisconsin against Gov. Scott Walker’s attack on labor unions. A statement from leaders of the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees union, which endorsed Occupy Wall Street this week, was typical: “Just as a message was sent to politicians in Wisconsin, a clear message is now being sent to Wall Street: Priority number one should be rebuilding Main Street, not fueling the power of corporate CEOs and their marionette politicians.”
The essential theme connecting events in Madison and New York City is unmistakable. Both represent an economic reckoning at a time of grim unemployment rates and stagnant wages for middle-class Americans. “Both the defense of unions [in Wisconsin] and Occupy Wall Street, which is broader in its definition of the problem, are responding to two or three decades of increasing economic inequality and, until fairly recently, the inability of progressives to address those things,” says Georgetown University historian Michael Kazin, author of American Dreamers: How the Left Changed a Nation.
But the Wisconsin-Occupy Wall Street comparison is a more complicated one in its specifics. The two don’t fit neatly side by side and, in some ways, bear no resemblance at all. Here is a look at how two of the biggest populist protests of the year stack up:
October 7, 2011 - Posted by raemd95 | Class Warfare, Democracy, Equal Rights, Freedom, Government, Ideologues, Liberty, Media, Middle Class, Politics, Populism, Revolution, Unemployment | Corporations, Gov Scott Walker, Income Gap, Inequality, Labor, Law Enforcement, Occupy Wall Street, Social Media, Wages, Wall Street
No comments yet.
Share This Blog
- “Long On Facade, Short On Bricks And Mortar”: Will The Ted Cruz Presidential Campaign Be All Hat, No Cattle? March 28, 2015
- “The Devil Came Down To Georgia And Paid Off Judas”: Republicans Want Their Own Tidy Little Jim Crow Zone Of Discrimination March 28, 2015
- “What Is It With Some Cops And Girls?”: When Police Officers Are The Sexual Predators March 28, 2015
- "We Don't Want You": Indiana 'Religious Freedom' Bill Lets Businesses, Individuals Decide Who Gets Equal Treatment
- "Image Conflicting With His Actual Personality": The Real Ted Cruz; Country Music, Harvard Law, And Tea Party 'Populism'
- "Your Dollars At Work — For The Rich": We’re Not Talking Trickle Here, We’re Talking Cascading To Privatize Everything
- "Leading Around The Campfire": Walker Points To Boy Scouts As Preparation For The White House
- "What Is It With Some Cops And Girls?": When Police Officers Are The Sexual Predators
- "Long On Facade, Short On Bricks And Mortar": Will The Ted Cruz Presidential Campaign Be All Hat, No Cattle?
Affordable Care Act African Americans Bain Capital Bush Tax Cuts Citizens United Congress Conservatives Contraception Corporations Debt Ceiling Democracy Democrats Economic inequality Economy Eric Cantor Florida Foreign Policy Fox News George W. Bush GOP Government Shutdown Gun Control Health Exchanges Health Insurance House Republicans Immigration Immigration Reform Iraq War Jobs John Boehner John McCain Koch Brothers Lindsey Graham Marco Rubio media Medicaid Medicare Middle Class Minorities Mitch McConnell Mitt Romney National Security Newt Gingrich NRA ObamaCare Paul Ryan Politics Poor and Low Income Poverty Racism Rand Paul Reproductive Rights Republicans Rick Perry Rick Santorum Right Wing Ronald Reagan Rush Limbaugh SCOTUS Senate Social Security Spending Cuts Tax cuts Taxes Tax Revenue Tea-party Teaparty Ted Cruz Texas Unemployment uninsured Voter Suppression Wall Street War on Women Wealthy
- Things happen in the 4th quarter..."The Rock Obama" & "She Rock Obama". Hilarious! Republicans better be on their best behavior. #SNL----------- 6 hours ago
- Only the self-deceived will claim perfect exceptions for theirs and only their religious freedom, everyone else be damned. #BoycottIndiana----------- 7 hours ago
- RT @underwoodchamp: The Daily Champion is out! paper.li/underwoodchamp… Stories via @raemd95 @mikemiguelce @MattMurph24----------- 8 hours ago
- RT @denniallen: @rochuck @LennaLeprena @Toimatom @SimonBanksHB @nickjatan @gary67r Yes. ABC said "other world leaders joining him" like he'…----------- 8 hours ago
- #MikePence will not be able to attend Church services on Sunday, except maybe the Westboro Baptist Church. #BoycottIndiana @GovPenceIN----------- 9 hours ago
- 188,516 hits