“The Days Of Our Lives”: Race And Conservative Nostalgia
Reihan Salam says that cranky old white conservative nostalgics aren’t racists they’re just white people who are nostalgic for a whiter, more racist America:
One thing that is undeniably true is that American conservatives are overwhelmingly white in a country that is increasingly less so. As the number of Latinos and Asian-Americans has increased in coastal states like California, New York and New Jersey, many white Americans from these regions have moved inland or to the South. For at least some whites, particularly those over the age of 50, there is a sense that the country they grew up in is fading away, and that Americans with ancestors from Mexico or, as in my case, Bangladesh don’t share their religious, cultural and economic values. These white voters are looking for champions, for people who are unafraid to fight for the America they remember and love. It’s unfair to call this sentiment racist. But it does help explain at least some of our political divide.
This puts me in a mind of House Speaker John Boehner’s explicitly expressed view that the problem with President Obama is was that he and the 111th Congress were “snuffing out the America that I grew up in”.
As I said at the time, on its face it’s difficult to make sense of that. John Boehner was born in 1949. Does he feel nostalgic for the higher marginal tax rates of the America he grew up in? For the much larger labor union share of the workforce? The threat of global nuclear war? It’s difficult for me to evade the conclusion that on an emotional level, conservative nostalgics like Boehner are primarily driven by regret at the loss of social privilege by white men. In Boehner’s defense, I often hear white male progressives express nostalgia for the lost America of the 1950s and 1960s and think to myself “a black person or a woman wouldn’t put it like that.” But progressive nostalgics do at least have the high-tax, union-dominated economy and egalitarian income distribution as the things they like. But from a non-bigoted conservative point of view, what is there really to miss about the America John Boehner grew up it? The tax rates were high, but at least they didn’t let Jews into the country club?
By: Matthew Yglesias, ThinkProgress, August 19, 2011
August 19, 2011 - Posted by raemd95 | Bigotry, Birthers, Class Warfare, Conservatives, Democracy, Democrats, Elections, Equal Rights, GOP, Human Rights, Ideologues, Ideology, Immigrants, Jobs, Labor, Politics, Racism, Religion, Republicans, Right Wing, Taxes, Teaparty, Unions, Voters | African Americans, Asian Americans, Bigots, Class System, Ethnicity, Income Disparity, Jews, Latinos, Nostalgia, Rep John Boehner, Social Privilege, Tax Rates, Values, White Americans, Women, Women's Rights
No comments yet.
Share your comment Cancel reply
Share This Blog
- "Norman Rockwell's America Is Gone": The Nation Should Welcome Darkening Demographic
- "They Won't Be Moving On": What Will Republicans Do if Obamacare Turns Out OK?
- "Yet Another Detour": Rebranding Be Damned, House Republicans Eye More Anti-Abortion Votes
- "Conspiracy Theories Abound": The Five Biggest Republican Lies About Benghazi
- "A Misleading Media Picture": Why The National Security Agency’s PRISM Program Is Nothing To Fear
TagsAffordable Care Act Bain Capital Bush Tax Cuts Citizens United Congress Conservatives Contraception Democrats Economic inequality Economy Foreign Policy Fox News George W. Bush GOP Gun Control Health Insurance House Republicans Jobs John Boehner John McCain Low Income media Medicaid Medicare Middle Class Mitch McConnell Mitt Romney National Rifle Association Newt Gingrich ObamaCare Paul Ryan Politics Racism Republicans Rick Santorum Right Wing SCOTUS Senate Spending Cuts Tax cuts Taxes Tax Revenue Teaparty uninsured Wall Street
- "@kpedmonds: #AMAmtg asks #AMA for specific monitoring of #ACA for "budgetary, coverage and practice impacts" of the law. #HCR"----------- 4 hours ago
- "@kpedmonds: #AMAmtg overwhelmingly votes to advocate for #icd10 implementation period where denials based on wrong codes won't be allowed.----------- 4 hours ago
- RT @LiberalEffects: America Feeds the Rich readersupportednews.org/opinion2/279-8…----------- 5 hours ago
- RT @LiberalEffects: Today In Not Being ‘The Stupid Party’: Bobby Jindal Has Some Awful Advice For The GOP: nationalmemo.com/today-in-not-b…----------- 5 hours ago
- "@HuffingtonPost: Corporate America lobbying furiously to keep tax loopholes huff.to/12HWe1Q"----------- 5 hours ago