John Boehner Pretends He Isn’t Speaker Of The House
Perhaps my favorite GOP response to the downgrade announcement came from the Speaker of the House.
Said House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio): “Democrats who run Washington remain unwilling to make the tough choices required to put America on solid ground.” He quoted the S&P report as saying that reforming entitlement programs is necessary, but he did not mention its discussion of the potential need for new tax revenue.
This is almost beautiful, in a comedic sort of way.
First, S&P blamed Boehner’s hostage strategy for the downgrade, so Boehner trying to shift the blame elsewhere is cheap and cowardly. Second, Dems were willing to make all kinds of “tough choices,” but found Boehner was too weak to persuade his own caucus to compromise.
But that’s just routine nonsense. What I especially enjoyed is the notion that, from Boehner’s perspective, Democrats “run Washington.”
I’ve noticed the Speaker has referenced that wording a few times recently, so I checked Boehner’s own website to see how many times the Speaker’s office has used the phrase. I found over 3,000 results. For a guy who’s only been Speaker for seven months, it suggests this is a phrase Boehner absolutely loves.
There is, however, one small problem, which Boehner may have lost sight of: he’s the elected Speaker of the House of Representatives. He was able to become Speaker because Republicans enjoy a House majority.
And if Republicans enjoy a House majority, it necessarily means Democrats don’t “run Washington.”
This need not be complicated. When Boehner goes to work, does he see the Secret Service agents around him? Does he notice where it says “Speaker of the House” above the door he walks through? Does he realize when President Obama negotiates with him, it’s not because the president enjoys Boehner’s company?
Obviously, I get the point of the little rhetorical exercise. Washington is unpopular, so Boehner wants voters to blame the party that “runs” things in DC. But as rhetorical games go, this one is just pathetic, even by GOP standards.
By: Steve Benen, Contributing Writer, Washington Monthly- Political Animal, August 8, 2011
August 9, 2011 - Posted by raemd95 | Congress, Conservatives, Debt Crisis, Democracy, Democrats, Elections, GOP, Government, Ideologues, Ideology, Politics, Republicans, Right Wing, Standard and Poor's, Tax Increases, Tax Loopholes, Taxes, Teaparty, Voters | Credit Downgrade, Credit Rating, Entitlements, Hostages, House Republicans, Rep John Boehner, Speaker of The House, Tax Revenues
No comments yet.
Share your comment Cancel reply
Share This Blog
- "Norman Rockwell's America Is Gone": The Nation Should Welcome Darkening Demographic
- "They Won't Be Moving On": What Will Republicans Do if Obamacare Turns Out OK?
- "Yet Another Detour": Rebranding Be Damned, House Republicans Eye More Anti-Abortion Votes
- "Only For The Terrorists Among Us": Assault Weapons Are Weapons Of Mass Destruction And Should Be Banned
- "Access Granted Vs Access Gained?": Did Edward Snowden Overstate Claims On National Security Agency Leaks?
TagsAffordable Care Act Bain Capital Bush Tax Cuts Citizens United Congress Conservatives Contraception Democrats Economic inequality Economy Foreign Policy Fox News George W. Bush GOP Gun Control Health Insurance House Republicans Jobs John Boehner John McCain Low Income media Medicaid Medicare Middle Class Mitch McConnell Mitt Romney National Rifle Association Newt Gingrich ObamaCare Paul Ryan Politics Racism Republicans Rick Santorum Right Wing SCOTUS Senate Spending Cuts Tax cuts Taxes Tax Revenue Teaparty uninsured Wall Street
- RT @Rhon09: @raemd95 @whitehouse OMG tomorrow #GOP will have a new conspiracy or scandal! Great news ObamaCare helps reduce med costs, IT W…----------- 1 hour ago
- "@amednews: Delegates classify obesity as a disease state bit.ly/19gKvY4 #AMAmtg"----------- 2 hours ago
- "@AmerMedicalAssn: Ardis Dee Hoven, M.D., Inaugurated as 168th President of AMA. #AMAmtg pub.vitrue.com/4Oxb"----------- 2 hours ago
- RT @Yes_Alasscan: @championofwomen @raemd95 @whitehouse Is your state implementing all of #ACA or do you live in a red state who deprives t…----------- 2 hours ago
- "@RossFH: Congratulation also to Jerome Cohen on election to CCB! #AMAmtg"----------- 14 hours ago